Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Glass...The House that Glass Built














Wow What a cool day Learning about one of the most important aspects of Northwest Ohio History. Glass! Who knew it would bring so much wealth to this area. One of our glassblowers told us that there was once 12 glass companies here in Bowling Green. Why? The Black Swamp was not only a source of wealth for agriculture and lumber, it was also a great source of natural gas and petrolium! All of which was needed to keep the glass ovens hot! Tomorrow we will explore more about glass in our region by going to the Glass Pavillion, which is connected to the Toledo Art Museum. We will meet in Mosley Hall at 12:15 to be on the road by 12:30. Please do not be late. Pack your lunch and let's move out so we can be to the museum by 1:00. We will be exploring the Glass Pavillion and see an exhibition at 2:00 pm, which will last until 3:oo. I calculate that we will arrive in Bowling Green at 4:00 pm. Here's to a wonderful day of learning and speaking English! All of you who spoke with the workers should be congratulated for your effort speaking to native English speakers! I am proud of you!



What did you think about the day of introduction? What was the most striking about the glass studio? Did you know that not all Fine Arts programs have glass studios? Why? Why do you think it is appropriate that Bowling Green State University has one? Get a great night's sleep and Explorers tomorrow is another day of exploration! Keep Reading!!!!!!!

7 comments:

  1. It was great experince today! i have watched these things as glass blowers or furnaces only on TV. Even to be a small art work, they spent a lot of time and they repeated attatching and melting. There were some glass pumpkins, made by students, it was attractive to buy. I'm expecting what we are going to see tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This day was underful day! I did't see these glass blowers so I was exited. I thought glass blowers make is very difficult and need time.
    I wanted make glass but I couldn't . because I don't like hot !! so I was little grim.haha
    And I did't know ,BGSU has glass class.
    This day was exited and suprised.

    JUNHO SONG

    ReplyDelete
  3. We went to the art building .It was the best day for me .I saw the studens make different kind of the glass such as , pumpkins,woman,rapit...etc. It was wonderful .Because I saw it only in the tv . It was intersting ,but when I saw it face to face it was more intersting . It is defucult work, but it makes alot of money .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this class and I never have feel like this. Students make glasses very carefully that likes treat as a baby. If you want to make a glass, it will take you long time and also you need patience. I like they use tool which helps shape the glass, it is a amazing saw colored glass crystals being added to the glass, this is a process that can be repeated many times to create a desired color. I think I can’t be a artist, because I don’t like to repeat one thing again and again, I will lose confidence.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow it was fantastic day; I’m never seeing how people make glass. Also when the man blowing the glass I can’t believe that because I don’t think so it flexible. Now I appreciate why the glass is expensive because it takes effort

    ReplyDelete
  6. The House that Glass Built is very Wonderful
    i like it and i knew how people make the glass.
    i was happy when i watch the students are making the glass.it is so hard.it needs more carefully
    it is a amazing .

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is my first time went to the art building of our university, and I never know our university have such good place. perfect! even i have already looked Manufacture glass process before. but i also like it. The teacher explained the manufacture glass process for us very careful! the teacher and students are very nice~~thank for them

    ReplyDelete