Monday, September 21, 2009

Touching the Black Swamp...Wintergarden Park!!! The Oak Savanah

Today we experienced abit of what the Great Black Swamp was like about 150 years ago. There was tall flowing grasses, oak savannah, and huge formidable trees.

Luckily, for us, we didn't have the same mosquito problem. Although it appear the Jun Ho had some bothersome visitors : ) At this time of year, the swamp would have been dry much as we saw it today. This was perhaps the only time of year pioneers could really travel and visit neighbors. It is not difficult to imagine how isolated a person could feel in such a situation. Would you have liked to travel by wagon with your favorite horse pulling you the whole way? Would you have liked to have been a farmer trying to eek out an existence in the beautiful, but very untamed wilderness? What do you think your favorite activity would have been if you lived in the swamp? Try to imagine~










9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you lived in the swamp? If I lived in the swamp, I might have die because I don't like bugs so I would not be able to live in the swamp. But, if i had lived at that time, i would have live by some means or other; eating a snake and riding a horse.
    Now I don't like untamed wilderness. I like this time, but I would like to visit there sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had a great, but boring, time in the Wintergarden Park! There was soooooo many bugs so i was so annoyed. As Dorinda said, the ground was as pretty hard as the pioneers could have traveled. If i had to live here or I was one of pioneers, i would have found a place for house that there was no tree around and was high.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Hank. there is so boring and having a lot of bugs in Wintergarden Park! and I was bitten by mosquitoes.
    I think people's lives at that time, they long to live in that kind of environment, they have to overcome the difficulties is that we cannot imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can not imagine my life living in that environment

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can not imagine I live in the swamp for one minutia because I can't stand without air-condition also there was many bugs. Also life in the swamp is dangers because there are many snake

    ReplyDelete
  7. i can't image when i live in here ,what will happen.there don't have anything what i need .however,swamp has a beautiful enveriment and fresh air.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wintergarden Park is a beautiful Park to visit.But I can't imagine to live in the swamp because there is a lot of bugs and mosquito .

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wintergarden Park is a nice place to visit for a few hours not for live it is scerd

    ReplyDelete